Shop around on websites such as . You won’t necessarily have to remain with the service provider, however, there are often clauses in tenancy agreements which state you must gain permission from your landlord before switching.

You should take meter readings when you first move in and when you move out - ensure they are provided to the utility companies. This should help prevent confusion on who owes what.

It will be your responsibility to notify the utilities provider of the change in occupiers, so it is good practice to take a meter reading and contact the provider on moving into the property and on vacating the property (whether this is before the end of the tenancy agreement or at the end).

Agency fees and deposit

When you sign up for a house you’ll pay a deposit and agencies often charge non-refundable registration, booking and administration fees.

Fees vary depending on your agent or landlord. Before agreeing to a tenancy, make sure you ask the landlord or agent for a list of all the fees.

Agencies can not charge for registration or to show you a property list.

Holding fee
A holding fee is a set payment by a letting agent or landlord to 'reserve' a property before you sign a tenancy agreement.

Credit check
Agents or landlords may charge to complete a credit check on each individual in the property or on your guarantor.

Other fees
You may also be asked to pay for getting references from an employer/bank or previous landlord as well as administrative costs such as phone calls and postage.

It is mandatory for deposits to be held in a  (TDP).

You might also be required to pay on-going fees for things such as renewing your tenancy and check out or inspection fees.

Edit section | Website feedback to web@bathspa.uuude.com